Colcannon Soup is a famous Irish food made with shredded cabbage, bite-sized potato, and fried bacon. The soup is best to serve with bread, especially some fresh baked Irish potato bread. I first came to this crazy good soup by my friend’s recommendation. She is a real homemade food lover and soup addict, and have tried a number of soups during the year. When I got the recipe, I gave it a try right away. Can you guess my family’s reaction to it? They all fall in love with it!
This Irish cabbage soup is WAY easier to make than you think. Bacon is fried in the skillet until crispy and brown, and set aside. It then brought back to the skillet (with cooked onions, leeks garlic, and thyme), along with chicken broth, heavy cream, potato, and cabbage. It takes only 40 minutes to make, from start to finish. And the soup comes out creamy and flavorful!
If you want to turn cabbage into healthy and flavorful soup, you should never miss this Colcannon soup. A bowl is great to warm up your body during winter’s days. All you need to do here is to save the recipe and make a good soup of your own whenever you have an appetite for. Let’s get started!
Colcannon SoupCourse: Main, DinnerCuisine: IrishDifficulty: Medium
Colcannon Soup is a famous Irish food made with shredded cabbage, bite-sized potato, and fried bacon. The soup is best to serve with bread, especially some fresh baked Irish potato bread.
4 cups cabbage, shredded
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 pounds potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
8 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch slices
1 onion, diced
2 large leeks, sliced
2 green onions, sliced and divided
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon in a large sauce pan until crispy. Remove and crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan.
- Add onions, leeks and whites of green onions into pan. Stir fry over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Stir in broth, cream, potatoes, cabbage, and bacon. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in greens of green onions. Enjoy!