Irish Scallop Bisque
Irish Scallop BisqueCourse: Soups, DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
8 large sea scallops
1 cup dry white wine
vegetable or refined coconut oil (high smoke point)
1 qt pack seafood stock, approximately 1L
1 large potato, diced, preferably Russet
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots
3 stalks celery
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme leaves, or 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and potato.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in dry white wine and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes. Gently pour in seafood stock, bay leaves and thyme. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove celery stalks, bay leaves and thyme. Pour soup mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return bisque to low heat, add half and half, stirring. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in another pan. Add scallops and sear about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Divide bisque into bowls, top with scallops and sprinkle with some fresh chopped chives.
- Serve immediately!