Cast-Iron Skillet Blueberry Sweet Rolls
Cast-Iron Skillet Blueberry Sweet RollsCourse: Breakfast, Brunch, SnacksCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
- Sweet Roll Dough
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package active dry yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp salt
- Blueberry Filling
1 1/3 cups frozen, not thawed blueberries
6 tbsp. melted butter, divided into 4 (plus more 2 tbsp.)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Blueberry Glaze
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar
Fresh blueberries for topping
- For Dough
- Whisk flour and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Gather milk, sour cream, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until just warm, for about 3 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixer. Beat with dough hook. Add in egg and beat until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl.
- Remove dough from mixer bowl with lightly floured han and. place in a large oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic bag and let rise at room temperature for about 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- For Filling
- Add blueberries, brown sugar and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter to a medium bowl. Mix to combine.
- For Glaze**
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Assemble Rolls
- Grease a 10 inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Once dough is ready to serve, place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to a roughly 14×10 inch rectangle.
- Brush with extra 2 tablespoons of melted butter, all the way to the edges. Spread an even layer of blueberry filling mixture on top.
- Roll dough from the long edge. Seal edge with some water or melted butter. Cut log into 1-inch tall slices (about 10 slices).
- Place rolls in prepared skillet, in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered until sweet rolls are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before drizzling with the glaze. Top with fresh blueberries.