Smashed Brussels Sprouts
I love eating crunchy and flavorful vegetable dishes. These Smashed Brussels Sprouts are one of them. Brussels sprouts are boiled until green and tender, let cool in ice water and drained, tossed with oil, garlic, and thyme, smashed into a flat patty, seasoned with salt and pepper, sprinkled with mozzarella and parmesan on top, and baked until crispy and cheese is melty and golden. Who can resist them?
Smashed Brussels SproutsCourse: Sides, AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These smashed brussels sprouts are perfect to make all year. They’re great to serve on their own or paired with grilled or baked chicken.
2 lb. Brussels sprouts
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F and prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer brussels sprouts to ice bath to cool then drain.
- Add blanched Brussels sprouts, oil, garlic, and thyme onto a large baking sheet, toss to combine.
- Using end of a small glass or mason jar, press down on Brussels sprouts to smash them into a flat patty. Season each with salt and pepper, then sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Bake until bottoms of sprouts are crispy and cheese is melty and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley to garnish. Serve warm.