Oyster StewCourse: Main, DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
16 ounces fresh raw oysters, undrained 4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups whole milk or half and half
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in heavy bottom 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and fry until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Grate in garlic and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add red pepper, paprika, salt, black pepper, stir to toast about 1 minute.
- Drain oysters and reserve liquid.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, parsley and oyster liqueur. Combine well.
- Cook over low heat until mixture is hot and beginning to steam, and bubbles just start to appear around the edge. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add oysters and continue to cook over low heat until oysters begin to curl on edges.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with dill or parsley.
- Serve immediately!