Seafood GumboCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 pounds unpeeled fresh large shrimp
1 pound lump crabmeat
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) bottle amber beer
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup green onion tops
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup butter, divided
Cooked rice for serving
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserve shells and place in a large pot. Refrigerate shrimp until needed.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook until pink.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and keep warm until needed.
- Cook sausage in a large Dutch oven until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add oil and remaining 1/4 cup butter to Dutch oven. Heat over medium heat until butter is completely melted.
- Gently stir in flour; using a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until roux is a dark caramel color, for 30-40 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add green pepper and celery; continue to cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add beer and stir in well.
- Pour shrimp stock through a fine-meshed sieve into Dutch oven.
- Add Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves, plus reserved andouille sausage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add green onions, parsley, and shrimp. When shrimp are pink, remove from heat and stir in crabmeat.
- Serve with white rice. Enjoy!