Bread and Butter Pickles
Bread and Butter PicklesCourse: Sides, AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
5 1/2 cups pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- Add cucumbers in a shallow bowl. Toss with salt, cover with plastic bag and chill for 1 hour and a half.
- Transfer cucumber into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return to bowl. Add in onion and mix well.
- Gather other ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Let it rest at temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove and serve.
- For the leftovers, store in an airtight container and keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks.