Healthy Butternut Squash Bowl
Healthy Butternut Squash BowlCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
4 cups chopped butternut squash
1 cup vegetable stock (or broth), or chicken stock (not vegetarian)
1 teaspoon butter
1-2 large ripe avocados, thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup honey roasted almonds or pecans
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp dried parsley,
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 cup couscous
Fresh arugula (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 of 1 small shallot, minced
1 tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop butternut squash into bite-sized pieces. Place on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, dried parsley, dried oregano and salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and stir around, and return to the oven for another 7-10 minutes; until crisp tender.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make dressing, gather all ingredients in a mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Add broth, stock, or water to a small pot. Add in butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork. Add in 1/3 cup of dressing and stir well.
- Divide couscous mixture into 4 bowls. Lay roasted butternut squash on top. Spread with fresh avocado and a handful of arugula. Top with almonds or pecans. Drizzle remaining dressing evenly over each bowl.
- Serve immediately!