New England Seafood Chowder
New England Seafood ChowderCourse: Dinner, SoupsCuisine: EnglishDifficulty: Medium
3/4 pound salmon filet, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 pound cod filet, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces (can be whole, if small)
1/2 pound lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups seafood stock
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup carrots, cut to match-sticks
1 cup leek, diced
1 cup waxy potatoes cut to match-sticks
1 cup russet potatoes cut to 1/4 inch dice
3 tablespoons fresh dill or parsley
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven. Add leeks and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook a few more minutes. Add both potato types, then seafood stock. Make sure that stock covers vegetables.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes, until russet potatoes have disintegrated, and waxy potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add fish and shrimp and let simmer on very low for 5-8 minutes, until fish is cooked through; stirring occasionally. Then add lobster meat.
- Stir in milk and cream. Bring back to just a boil.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning.
- Garish with dill or parsley, if desired. Serve immediately!