Seafood BouillabaisseCourse: Soups, DinnerCuisine: American, MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
3 (5oz) lobster tails, cut in half lengthwise
2 dozen littleneck clams scrubbed
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound mussels, rinsed and beards removed
1 pound crab legs, cut into small 4-6″ sections
5 cups fish stock or water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes. tiny bite sized ones peeled
1 leek, chopped thinly white and light green parts only
1 medium onion, diced
1 whole fennel bulb—bulb only, diced fronds reserved
4 cloves garlic. minced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 whole bay leaves
Pinch of saffron threads
2 tablespoons Pernod
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 loaf Sourdough bread, sliced (for serving)
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium high heat. Add leeks, onions, garlic, fennel and carrots. Stir and cook until onions and fennel are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saffron and stir for 5 minutes. Then scrape up bits from bottom of pan.
- Stir in stock (or water), bay leaves and potatoes. Bring pot to a simmer. Continue to cook until small potatoes and carrots are cooked and tender. Remove from heat.
- Clean all shell fish and prepare a plate.
- Remove 1/2 of potatoes and set aside. Remove bay leaves and discard. Add soup to an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring pureed broth back onto pot and heat to hot and bubbling. Add potatoes back into pot.
- Once hot, add clams and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then add mussels and cook for 3 more minutes. Add shrimp, lobster and crab and cook until shrimp and lobster halves are completely opaque.
- Place a little of each kind of shellfish in each serving bowl. Ladle broth over the top.
- Garnish with dill or parsley, if desired.
- Serve with thick bread. Enjoy!