Sausage & Cabbage Soup
This Sausage & Cabbage Soup will “pamper” your craving for sausage soup and cabbage soup at a time. It’s a crazy good mix of smoked sausage, chopped cabbage, diced potato, chicken broth, onion, carrot, celery, all-purpose flour, milk, heavy cream, herbs and spices. The mixture comes out creamy and flavorful, promises to melt in your mouth. Yummy!
This creamy sausage cabbage soup is great to make at any time of the year. In freezing days, for instance, a bowl of this soup can warm up your body right. It’s a comforting and crave-worthy dinner. I’ve made this soup for my family few times this December. It tasted so good and got all of us hooked. My kids also asked me to serve it at lunch. Although added in a number of vegetables, the soup fits the taste of the kids. They eat up all without getting bored with.
If you are a soup addict, you should give this sausage and cabbage soup a try. It’s loaded with taste and flavor. Spend 35 minutes, and you have a delicious and nutritious food to treat the whole family. Let’s get started!
Sausage & Cabbage SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
This Sausage & Cabbage Soup will “pamper” your craving for sausage soup and cabbage soup at a time. It’s a crazy good mix of smoked sausage, chopped cabbage, diced potato, chicken broth, onion, carrot, celery, all-purpose flour, milk, heavy cream, herbs and spices.
3-4 cups cabbage, chopped
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
3/4 lb potatoes, diced (about 2-3 medium)
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh dill
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook until onion is tender. Add celery, carrot, potato, cabbage, broth and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover with a lid and simmer 10-15 minutes; until potatoes are tender.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour and cook over medium heat about 2 minutes. Stir in milk and cream. Continue to whisk until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Once vegetables are tender, add cream mixture into soup. Allow to simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill and parsley. Serve.