Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Cheesy Chicken and Rice CasseroleCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 lb cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
2 cups fat free chicken broth
16 oz frozen broccoli
8 oz frozen mixed vegetables
2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. light butter (I used Brummel & Brown)
1-2 cubes chicken bouillon
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 ½ cups fat free sour cream
1 cup fat free milk
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-fat cooking spray or olive oil mister.
- Prepare rice according to package directions, but using the chicken broth instead of water, and adding in bouillon.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Dip broccoli and mixed vegetables for just about 3 minutes. Remove, drain and spread evenly into baking dish. Top with cooked chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder and paprika.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top. Pour rice over cheese.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add in flour and whisk until well combined. Stir in milk, salt and pepper, and continue to whisk constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and fold in sour cream. Spread mixture evenly over rice, and then sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Serve.