Chicken BiryaniCourse: Main, DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
1.5 lb chicken thighs, halved along bone
2/3 cup yoghurt, plain
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tbsp. paprika , sweet / ordinary (not smoked)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp garam marsala
2 tsp coriander
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or other plain oil)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 3/4 tsp salt
- Parboil Rice
2 1/4 cups basmati rice
5 dried bay leaves
1 star anise
6 green cardamon pods
2 tbsp. salt
- Crispy Onion
2 medium onions, halved and finely sliced
1 cup oil , for frying
1 tsp saffron threads, loosely packed
2 tbsp. warm water
1 cup coriander / cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup ghee or unsalted butter , melted
Chopped coriander / cilantro
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in a large pot. Add chicken and coat well. Marinade for at least 20 minutes or store in the fridge overnight (more preferred).
- Parboiled Rice
- Bring 3 quarts water to boil, add salt and spices.
- Add rice, bring back up to boil then cook for 4 minutes, or until rice is just cooked, still a bit firm in the middle. Drain immediately. Set aside.
- Crispy Onion
- Heat a large saucepan with oil over medium high heat. Add onion and for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Make sure that you not burn it unless it will be bitter.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining onion.
- Place in a bowl, leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Place chicken in a pot, cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid. Cook further 5 minutes, turning chicken twice. Remove from heat.
- Turn chicken, skin side down – it should cover most of the base of the pot. Sprinkle with half of onion and coriander.
- Top with rice. Gently pat down and flatten surface. Drizzle with saffron, followed by ghee.
- Place lid on and cook on medium heat.
- Once steaming, reduce heat to low then cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove heat and let it rest with lid for 10 minutes.
- To Serve
- Serve chicken over a bed of yellow rice, white rice, or curry stained rice.
- Garnish with remaining onion and coriander with yoghurt on the side. Enjoy!