One Pot Chicken and Dirty Rice
One Pot Chicken and Dirty RiceCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
1 cup DRY long-grain rice
2 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
1 link of andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4″ slices
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
sliced green onions for garnish
minced fresh parsley for garnish
- For Marinade
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp. olive oil
- Gather all ingredients for marinade in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add chicken thighs and turn to coat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat drizzle of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown andouille sausage on both sides, then transfer to a plate.
- Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and sear for 2-3 minutes per side until nicely crispy.
- Transfer chicken to sausage plate. Drain with a paper towel. Leave brown bits and pan drippings.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add in chopped onion, jalapeno and celery. Saute for about 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add cayenne, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper and stir. Pour in rice and chicken stock, stir and simmer for 1 minute.
- Place chicken thighs and sausage on top of the rice. Return to a simmer, then cover.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover and bake for additional 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and minced parsley. Serve!