One Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice
One Pot Creamy Chicken and RiceCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups medium grain rice (Jasmine rice un-rinsed)
5 cups hot low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus more for serving
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 large carrots, grated or cut into matchsticks
2 tsp salt we used sea salt, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 head garlic
2 bay leaves optional
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil and 2 tbsp. unsalted butter into a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot covered with a lid.
- Stir in diced onion, grated carrots and 1 tsp salt. Sautee for 8-10 minutes, until soft and golden
- Add chicken, 2 bay leaves, another 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook until chicken is golden on all sides for 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to high and pour in 1 cup white wine. Boil down wine, scraping bottom until most of wine is evaporated.
- Add hot chicken broth, then stir in ice.
- Slice the end off a whole head of garlic to expose the garlic cloves; without separating (leaving the root end intact). Place into center of rice, sliced side down. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove garlic head and quickly stir in remaining butter until fully incorporated.
- Stir in chopped parsley and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese until it melted. Serve immediately or cover with a lid to keep it warm. Garnish with more fresh parsley to serve.