Savory Oatmeal With an Egg
Savory Oatmeal With an EggCourse: Breakfast, BrunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1/4 cup dry quick-cooking steel cut oats
1 large egg
2 tablespoons shredded white cheddar cheese
1 tsp coconut oil, divided
1/4 cup diced red pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
3/4 cup water
salt and pepper
- Toppings (Optional)
sliced green onions
za’atar (or any other spice blend)
- Place oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Line with paper towels and microwave at a high setting, at one-minute intervals for a total of 3 minutes. Stir a little between intervals.
- Once done, stir in shredded cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper to taste.
- Heat half of coconut oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until soften.
- Add vegetables over cooked oats. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining oil to pan and fry egg. Cook until whites are no longer translucent and serve over oatmeal.
- Top with chopped walnuts, green onions, and za’atar, if desired.
- You may also cook this dish on stove top. Here is what to do: Bring water to boil. Add oatmeal, reduce heat a little and cook for about 3 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.