Simple One Pot Chicken and Rice
Simple One Pot Chicken and RiceCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
4 lb. (approx.) whole chicken
3 cups long grain white rice
4 quarts (16 cups) water approx.
3-4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 large sweet onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons parsley, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Combine water, chicken, celery, onion, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, celery salt, 1 teaspoon parsley in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Once reaching cooking time, transfer chicken to large bowl or plate to cool. Keep simmering the food.
- Debone chicken and set aside.
- Remove all broth from pot (or use another pot). Pour approximately 6 cups broth back into pot, along with rice, chicken, remaining pepper, salt and parsley.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in another cup of broth. Cover and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Continue to add broth, stir, cover and simmer for 5 minutes at a time until rice is done.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.