Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup
Cabbage, Sausage and Potato SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced into bite-sized pieces
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 medium leeks, sliced into ⅛ inch rounds, white and pale green parts only
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound red potatoes, diced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, homemade or store-bought
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Cook sausage in a large stockpot over medium-heat for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned; stirring and flipping occasionally. Once done, transfer to a separate plate, and set aside.
- Add olive oil, leeks, carrots and celery to pan. Stir to combine and sauté for 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage and garlic, and stir fry for 4 more minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, potatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, cooked sausage, and stir to combine. Continue to cook until it reaches a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked and tender. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm. Or, store in an sealed container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- If you prefer other types of sausage for this dish (chicken, pork, turkey,..), feel free to give it a go.