Chester’s Low-Carb Southwestern Egg Skillet
Chester’s Low-Carb Southwestern Egg SkilletCourse: Breakfast, BrunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
16 oz. ground pork breakfast sausage
4 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup Salsa Verde
1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
1 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained well and chopped
2 tsp olive oil (plus a little more for cooking onion)
salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C and put eggs into individual ramekins and let them come to room temperature.
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch Cast Iron Skillet. Add ground pork breakfast sausage and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up with a turner. Cook 8-10 minutes, until sausage is all browned.
- Push sausage over to the side of skillet and add a little more oil, if needed.
- Add chopped red onion, stir and cook about 3-4 minutes. Combine sausage and onion together.
- Drain roasted red peppers and chop into ½-inch square pieces. Pat dry with paper towels, if needed.
- Add pepper to sausage/onion mixture and cook 3-4 minutes more. Stir in salsa Verde.
- Turn heat to medium-low, and let simmer for five minutes, until liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Make four wells in sausage mixture with a large spoon, and gently transfer one of the room-temperature eggs into each well. Season salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Place skillet in oven and bake 10-12 minutes, or until whites are opaque and yolks are done to your liking.
- Serve hot with favorite toppings (cheese, chopped cilantro, and more salsa verde,..)