Easy Savory Cabbage Roll
Our post today is about an Easy Savory Cabbage Roll. This cabbage dish is very popular in Germany (called German Krautstrudel). It’s super duper impressive and crazy good. Just give it a try and surely you will find it worth!
Cabbage is cored and finely shredded, poured into a skillet of cooked bacon, onion and red peppers; and added with caraway seeds and seasonings. The cabbage mixture is then divided evenly between thawed phyllo dough, gently folded over, brushed with oil and baked in preheated oven until the wrapping is flaky and browned. It comes out delicious and flavorful.
If you are finding something good and creative to make with cabbage, this German cabbage roll is the way to go. I’ve tried it twice this month and my family just went crazy for it. The point here is that my family are not much fond of cabbage. This cabbage dish just change their thinking of it. I also served it at weekend gathering of friends and they loved it too. Some even asked me for the recipe to make a good one of your own. Well, this is a way to spice up our cooking life, right?
Easy Savory Cabbage RollCourse: SidesCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Medium
If you are finding something good and creative to make with cabbage, this German cabbage roll is the way to go. I’ve tried it twice this month and my family just went crazy for it.
1 small head green cabbage, cored and shredded
8 – 10 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
6 slices bacon, diced (or Canadian bacon, diced)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds + more for the top
freshly ground black pepper
- Thaw phyllo dough according to Follow package instructions (normally store overnight in the fridge or couple of hours on the counter). Make sure not to unwrap phyllo until filling is ready.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, onion and red pepper and fry for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent and bacon is cooked.
- Add shredded cabbage and continue to cook for more 10 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.
- Add caraway seeds and season with salt and black pepper. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a sheet pan lined with a parchment paper. Brush with some olive oil.
- Form 4-5 sheets of thawed phyllo dough onto parchment paper.
- Spread half of cabbage mixture over one-quarter of the dough, leaving a 1-1/2 inch border around lower edges.
- Gently fold sides of the dough over the filling, followed by bottom edge of dough, wrapping seam side down. Brush top with olive oil and sprinkle with caraway seeds and black pepper.
- Repeat with the second roll.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the dough is flaky and browned.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice into 2-inch pieces. Serve immediately.