Teriyaki Fried Rice
Teriyaki Fried RiceCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 cups (800g) white rice, cooled
2 lb. (910g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced
6 large eggs, beaten
½ cup (120 ml) soy sauce, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
½ cup (120 ml) mirin
¼ cup (50 g) sugar
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup (150g) peas
1 cup broccoli (150g) florets
2 carrots, peeled and minced
1 medium onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
3 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 sesame seed, for garnish
scallion, sliced, for garnish
- Add sugar, soy sauce, and mirin in a small bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combined.
- Add chicken to a large bowl. Pour ½ marinade over chicken and save rest for later. Toss chicken to coat, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add carrots, onion, and pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peas and broccoli florets. Cook, shaking the pan or stirring, for about 3 more minutes, until broccoli is slightly tender. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to skillet and heat until it shimmers, then add minced garlic and ginger. Stir for 15 seconds until fragrant. Add cooked rice, breaking up clumps with a spoon and toss in oil.
- Push all to one side of skillet. Add beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble until it starts to set, then bring veggie back to skillet. Stir to all ingredients combine together.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir until well-combined.
- Transfer rice mixture to a greased bundt pan. Pack rice down slightly. Cover and set aside.
- Heat remaining sesame oil in skillet. Add marinated chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in reserved teriyaki sauce and cook until reduced and thickened slightly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve rice on bowl. Pour hot Teriyaki chicken on top and garnish with sliced scallions.