Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple Fried RiceCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
6 cups cooked jasmine rice
1 1/4 cups diced pineapple
3 large eggs, whisked
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 cup diced yellow onions
1/2 large red pepper, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 cup (70g) frozen peas
3 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 scallions, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped basil
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add whisked eggs and scramble with a spatula. Stir about 30 seconds to 1 minute until they are cooked. Transfer eggs to a plate and set aside. Wiped down skillet, if needed.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until onions start to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper, carrots and peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Add turmeric and coriander and stir until vegetables are coated with spices.
- Add rice and mix well with vegetables. Stir and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Quickly whisk soy sauce (or tamari) with brown sugar and pour in a small bowl. Pour sauce over rice. Add white pepper, if using, and stir until well incorporated.
- Add eggs, pineapple and sliced scallions to rice and stir to distribute.
- Turn off heat and mix in chopped basil. Serve immediately!