Vegan Cabbage Rolls
Vegan Cabbage RollsCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 head Savoy cabbage, steamed
1 (227g) package mushroom, sliced
1 cup brown rice, cooked
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup lentils, cooked
1 jar tomato sauce
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook rice and lentil according to package instructions, but leave just undercooked.
- Gather tomatoes, celery and mushrooms in a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Heat olive oil in medium frying pan over low-medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are transparent for about 5-10 minutes; stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut about 1/4″ off the bottom of the cabbage. Dip whole head of cabbage into boiling water for about 3 minutes. Peel softened leaves off cabbage. Repeat until all larger leaves easily come off.
- Add rice and lentil into mushroom bowl. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a casserole dish, pour into 1 cup of tomato sauce. Set aside.
- Lay cabbage leaf flat on a cutting board. Add 2 spoonfuls of filling mixture into center of cabbage leave. Next, fold in both sides over filling, then roll cabbage up; placing seam side down. Place all in baking dish.
- Spread with remaining tomato sauce on top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 70 minutes. Enjoy!